Has any of this happened to you?
By the time Doug came to us, he had tried everything from YouTube exercises to surgery, and even a few other physical therapists.
When we first met Doug we found out what others had missed so many times before.
Mistake #1: Focusing only on one body part.
Believe it or not, Doug’s back pain kept coming back because of his hips and ribcage not moving how they were supposed to. His body also had the tendency to use the wrong muscles to stabilize his spine. This was forcing the big back muscles to work double time. When the hips and stabilizing muscles don’t do their job, the big muscles stiffen up. This causes the joints to get stiff. That’s usually why massage and chiropractic work only last temporarily. The massage helps the stiff muscles, and the chiropractic work helps the stiff joints, but neither of those focuses on the “root problem.”
When you focus on just what’s happening at the pain point, you’re focusing on the symptom, not the cause. It’s often a combination of what’s happening at the back, hips, ribcage, and pelvis.
We developed a plan to help Doug’s back to heal by first identifying everything that was CAUSING the pain to keep coming back. This helps us to avoid mistake #2: cookie cutter treatments.
Mistake #2: Cookie Cutter Treatments
There are 45 muscles that attach to the low back and pelvis. Everyone’s case is different. Some people have hip pain, along with their back pain, others have back pain. Some people have disc injury, others have nerve irritation. Every case is completely different, and it should be explained to you exactly how each exercise is going to get you better.
Mistake #3: Not Having A Good Outcome In Mind
Where Doug had struggled in the past, was the plan was always about the back pain. When the pain was less, treatment would stop. Then he would get back to going to work and it would slowly creep back in.
His real outcome was being able to work, play with his kids, and travel with his wife, without being limited by back pain. He wanted to be able to get a full night’s sleep, and take care of himself, and his family. We designed a plan that helped him achieve all of the above.
- Your treatment plan is tailored to your lifestyle to get you to be able to do the things that are most important to you.
- You’ll learn about the body, the muscles, and how everything is connected.
- You’ll understand how to take care of yourself so you can continue to enjoy being pain free and active well into the future.
- You’ll understand everything that’s contributing to your back pain, and have a plan to get it corrected.
- Your DPT team understands where you are at, and designs a plan to help you get to where you want to be in as few, or as many steps as it may take.
If you’re ready to get closer to a life without back pain, all you have to do is click the orange button, fill out our form, and our experts will give you a call to help you decide if we can help you.
What Can I Do To Get Rid Of My Back Pain Completely?
1. The sooner you take action, the sooner it will get fixed. If you choose to wait, your body adapts to moving around the pain, and you develop more bad habits that take longer to fix.
2. You need the right exercises at the right stage of your recovery. If you’ve ever heard of a “PT mill” it’s where everyone with back pain gets the same 10-20 exercises without any explanation given. Evaluation by a specialist can ensure that you get the right exercises at each stage of recovery, to guide you to complete recovery without it coming back
3. Avoid sleeping on your stomach. It can cause inflammation that slowly builds up through the night.
4. Work with a specialist physical therapist. At The Doctors of Physical Therapy we do not use any aides or technicians so your time is spent 1-on-1 with an expert the entire session.