Has any of this happened to you?
At one point Michael had surgery on his shoulder, but even that didn’t take it away. By the time he came to us, he had tried everything from YouTube exercises to surgery, and even a few other physical therapists.
When we first met Michael we found out what others had missed so many times before.
Mistake #1: Focusing only on one body part.
Believe it or not, Michaels shoulder pain kept coming back because of his elbow and wrist not moving how they were supposed to. This was forcing the biceps to work double time. When you focus on just what’s happening at the shoulder, you’re focusing on the symptom, not the cause. It’s often a combination of what’s happening at the shoulder, shoulder blade, forearm, neck, and back.
We developed a plan to help Michael’s shoulder to heal by first identifying everything that was CAUSING the pain to keep coming back. This helps us to avoid mistake #2: cookie cutter treatments.
Mistake #2: Cookie Cutter Treatments
There are 17 muscles that attach to the shoulder blade alone. Everyone’s case is different. Some people have neck pain, along with their shoulder pain, others have elbow pain. Some people have rotator cuff injury, others have frozen shoulder. Every case is completely different, and it should be explained to you exactly how each exercise is going to get you better.
Mistake #3: Not Having A Good Outcome In Mind
Where Michael had struggled in the past, was the plan was always about the shoulder pain. When the pain was gone, treatment would stop. Then he would get back to lifting weights and going to work and it would slowly creep back in.
His real outcome was being able to work and lift weights without being limited by shoulder pain. He wanted to be able to get a full night’s sleep, and take care of himself, and his patients. We designed a plan that helped him achieve all of the above.
How Can Working With A Specialist At DPT Help You Put An End To Your Shoulder Pain?
- Your treatment plan is tailored to your lifestyle to get you to be able to do the things that are most important to you.
- You’ll learn about the body, the muscles, and how everything is connected.
- You’ll understand how to take care of yourself so you can continue to enjoy being pain free and active well into the future.
- You’ll understand everything that’s contributing to your shoulder pain, and have a plan to get it corrected.
- Your DPT team understands where you are at, and designs a plan to help you get to where you want to be in as few, or as many steps as it may take.
If you’re ready to get closer to a life without shoulder pain, all you have to do is click the orange button, fill out our form, and our experts will give you a call to help you decide if we can help you.
What Can I Do To Get Rid Of My Shoulder Pain Completely?
1. The sooner you take action, the sooner it will get fixed. If you choose to wait, your body adapts to moving around the pain, and you develop more bad habits that take longer to fix.
2. You need the right exercises at the right stage of your recovery. If you’ve ever heard of a “PT mill” it’s where everyone with shoulder pain gets the same 10-20 exercises without any explanation given. Evaluation by a specialist can ensure that you get the right exercises at each stage of recovery, to guide you to complete recovery without it coming back.
3. Avoid sleeping on your injured shoulder. It can cause inflammation that slowly builds up through the night.
4. Work with a specialist physical therapist. At The Doctors of Physical Therapy we do not use any aides or technicians so your time is spent 1-on-1 with an expert the entire session.